Castle Fraser is a fabulous place to soak up the atmosphere of old Scotland, it is one of the largest tower houses in the country. Construction of the elaborate, five-storey Z-plan castle was begun in 1575 by the 6th Laird-Michael Fraser. The castle was further modernised in the late 18th century, with a new entrance and sash windows throughout. This work was supervised by Elyza Fraser, the lady laird, assisted by Mary Bristow. Elyza was also responsible for the landscaping of the grounds, and the construction of the impressive octagonal stable block.
Throughout history each laird has stamped his personality on the family seat, from the various ways of spying on those in the Great Hall to trophies gathered on global adventures.
The panoramic views from the top of the round tower are spectacular, revealing the courtyard, gardens and estate beyond, ready to be explored.